Sunday, December 12, 2010

Please join me in supporting this great cause for World Progressive Judaism

Dear friends and family,

I'm writing to tell you about an amazing opportunity that I have been
looking forward to for a long time. This Passover, I will be traveling
to the Former Soviet Union, specifically Belarus, to bring music,
Passover programming, and seder leading assistance. In partnership with
World Progressive Judaism, I will be joining 17 HUC Cantorial, Education
and Rabbinic students to observe this yearly celebration of freedom in a
community that has experienced much oppression in the past. I am
completely thrilled to travel to the area in which many of my
great-grandparents were born and raised. Although, of course, looking
different today, it will be highly enriching to see Progressive Judaism
from a new perspective.

This cultural experience will benefit both of our communities greatly.
I'm looking forward to learning new melodies and traditions from my host
community in Belarus, and at the same time teaching them some of my
traditions. We will have translators to help us communicate.

Did you know that there are only 6 progressive Rabbis in the Former
Soviet Union today? It's so important that as fellow Jews we travel to
these communities who are thirsty for more Jewish involvement and
education and let them know that we are here to support them and work
with them.

As part of the education committee, I will be helping to create Passover
programming for people of all ages to be facilitated while we are in the
FSU.


Please checkout our website!
http://fsupesachproject2011.wordpress.com


You will find all kinds of groovy info, including how you can donate
on-line or send a check to help me pay for my transportation and a translator. You can
see a video from the President of the Hebrew Union College and see bios
on all of the participants going on the trip.


To donate:

Just click on "Donate Now!" and then click again on the "donation page"
link found in the first paragraph.

Remember to write my name in the memo space, so that your donation goes
to me :)

Also- when prompted, remember to write that this donation is for the FSU
trip.


Thank you so much. This really means a lot to me. I can't wait to tell
you more details (as I learn them) and share with you stories from this
unique trip.


To take advantage of this great opportunity I have to raise more than half of $2,500 by Jan 1!

Thank you ahead of time for your support. Any little bit helps!


Sincerely,

Rayna Dushman

No comments:

Post a Comment